Webbing Fabric Options: A Rundown
First, before we get into the types of webbing fabric options available, let’s understand what exactly this textile is.
Webbing fabric is a tightly woven textile that comes in a flat strip or tube of varying widths and fibers. You might see webbing fabrics in things like carrying straps, belts, and harnesses. Webbing fabric is a versatile product that comes in a variety of options for multiple uses. Webbing fabric options include:
- Cotton: This is a natural fiber that you might see used in collars and leashes. The fabric isn’t as strong as other textiles and may fade, tear, or fray faster. However, it’s a nice fabric you can use for simple applications.
- Polypropylene: This is great for outdoor use because it is UV ray resistant and water repellent. This textile is also mildew resistant and has a low stretch. Typically, this fabric is used in bags, the food service industry, hospitals, camping products, and sports equipment. It’s also a great choice for marine and other water related uses.
- Nylon: This is a very strong fabric and has a high tear strength. This is a great option for things like straps, sail corners, and ring installations. This is also great for canvas edges.
- Acrylic: This is also a synthetic material, like polypropylene, and is a durable fabric that’s excellent for outdoor use. This is great for boat applications and can withstand the rigors of the outdoors.
- Rubber: This is great for use in upholstery projects. You might see this in restaurant seating or even in furniture in the form of straps or in the seats or backs of the item. This textile is great because of its elasticity and its inherent strength; that’s why it’s great for use in furniture.
As you can see, there are a variety of webbing fabric options. Finding the right one for your project means looking at what each option offers and then consulting your fabric supplier. Keep in mind, not all webbing fabrics are universal and some are appropriate for upholstery and others are not. Remember, your textile supplier can offer you a detailed look at each type of webbing fabric available and can help you narrow down your choices until you find the right one.
Now that you know a little more about webbing fabric and your options, let us know how we can help you with your next project by visiting us at www.vaughanbros.com or giving us a call at 1-800-444-4701.